Holiday Extras are looking for experienced Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) to come and use cutting edge technology to helps us revolutionise how customers (7 million and growing) travel better.
Back in 2011 we took the first steps into the cloud by moving our production web systems to AWS, at the time we were early adopters with most companies still just dipping their toes with email. This was an awesome project which gave us the ability to expand our capacity with a click of a button.
Since then we have invested our efforts into moving as many systems as possible over to AWS and looking at how our systems will look in the future with services like Google Cloud Platform and the growing DevOps culture, with the ultimate aim of never having to say no and having an infrastructure that is scalable, reliable and easy to use.
We’re in the process of moving to an API first micro services architecture by using tools like Docker and ConVox, your skills and experience will be key in helping us achieve that by building and maintaining the toolkit our dev’s will use. Alongside this you will be working with the team to keep our excellent uptime (which we are very proud of) as high as possible as well as looking after our other systems.
We look after not just Holiday Extras but the whole group with systems and services in our Short Breaks team and Holiday Extras in Germany, all of which rely on our expertise and knowledge.
We pride ourselves on being able to offer exciting challenges, whilst also providing a flexible, fulfilling environment in which to work, in the heart of the Kent countryside, 5 minutes from the beach. Our Learning Academy, quiet Lounge, supportive environment and focus on personal development, help our team members grow and become experts in their field! We have fortnightly “Project Lounge” days where you have the chance to work on anything extending your knowledge in different business areas or simply collaborate in a project to make a difference to the business.
You will be joining at an exciting period of exceptional projected growth; Our people move fast and deliver excellence at pace, never accepting second best. We may have been in business 33 years, but Holiday Extras is an innovative and entrepreneurial travel-tech business with a startup mentality.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You’re a “been there and automated it” an engineer looking to make an positive impact on millions of people.
- Experience of Docker, Chef, Puppet, Kubernetes, Linux, MySQL, BASH.
- Has set up / maintained / grown / monitored / loved an AWS infrastructure. Even better if you’ve done the same with the Google Cloud Platform.
- A desire to understand the business and where it’s heading.
- A track record of being solutions focussed and an excellent problem solver, not afraid to make decisions and act quickly.
- Always determined to acquire new skills and learn.
- Demonstrable interest in all that is cloud and highly scalable distributed web platforms.
- A pragmatic approach understanding the importance of having a scalable and reliable infrastructure.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- You will be focused on delivering ultra-scalable and highly reliable software systems running on cloud infrastructure.
- You will have autonomy and responsibility to solve the interesting problems we face daily.
- You’ll be working closely with the Holiday Extras engineers around the group to ship tools and frameworks to help make their lives better.
- Solving problems relating to mission critical services and build automation to prevent problem recurrence. The goal being to automating all non-exceptional service conditions.
- You will develop your career in a strong team with a well-defined culture, that is building a fast-moving, disruptive business.
- You will lead and assist in solving challenges and delivering innovative new experiences with other pod’s alongside supporting our other businesses.
- You will be doing out of hours support (1 in 6) but that’s a good incentive to automate.
- You’re going to have a lot of fun!
If you’ve got a few minutes check out our blog and see what our engineers have to say.